Join the Binchester Excavation Project
Application Instructions for Students and Volunteers 2014
Season dates: June 29, 2014 – July 26, 2014
First Round Application Deadline: 28 February
Second Round Application Deadline: 25 April
(Students applying for the first deadline generally have a better chance at acceptance)
This major archaeological project is seeking enthusiastic excavation volunteers to work in a part of the Roman frontier near Hadrian’s Wall. The Binchester Roman Town Excavation Project is excavating a fort and township near Durham, which is located in one of the richest archaeological landscapes in the world. The region’s archaeological record stretches from the prehistoric and Iron Age, to the Roman occupation, to the early Middle Ages, and beyond.
The project represents an international effort between American and British scholars. Volunteers will spend four weeks excavating, processing artifacts, and visiting key archaeological sites in this area of the Hadrian’s Wall frontier zone. All levels of archaeological experience are welcome and accommodated. Students from any academic program, as well as individuals outside of academia, are encouraged to apply.
For the first time, we will also be accepting applications from volunteers who wish to focus their efforts on pottery analysis. Days will be spent on site processing pottery fragments and in the lab developing the typology. All levels of analytical experience are welcome but, due to the limited amount of space in this program, we request that you describe your interest in ancient pottery in your application.
The cost of $4,500 (US) covers housing in the medieval town of Durham, all meals, archaeological instruction, and weekend field trips. Flights and travel to Durham are not included. Supplementary documentation is available for those who wish to try and receive academic credit at their home institution. See this page for more details on credit.
To apply to join us on the 2014 field season, send the following to:
vinovium AT durham DOT ac DOT uk
- Your name, email, birth date (minimum age is 18), and whether you are applying to the excavation program or the pottery program.
- A transcript (if applicable). Unofficial is acceptable. If this cannot be attached to email, you should mail it to:
The Binchester Project
P.O. Box 70606
Sunnyvale, CA 94086
- Names and email contact information for two references we can contact
- Your responses to the following questions (in about 200-300 words each):
- Why do you want to be a part of the Binchester Archaeological Project?
- What archaeological and/or vocational experience do you have that might be valuable on the Project? (Please note that no previous archaeological experience is necessary)
- Give an example of when the arts or history or an idea changed the way you perceive the world.
- Is there anything else you would like to tell us about yourself?
The Project Field School is competitive, and we can accept only a certain amount of applicants. We encourage you to submit substantive responses to the questions.